May 7, 2013

my take on the wallflower movie

i've always kind of been a wallflower in real life.  i take in the details other people don't seem to notice or care about.  so obviously when a movie about being a wallflower came out, i wanted to see it.  everyone had given it rave reviews, so i was excited to find out what all the hype was about.

well me and my best friend watched it this morning and i was completely and utterly:
1) shamed
2) convicted
3) horrified

my Christian teenage friends, who claim to be followers of Jesus Christ, liked that?  not only was it the farthest thing from Christ-like, it was depressing, and though realistic, very horrible reality.

there's a verse in the Bible -- maybe i take it more seriously than most but for crying out loud that was disgusting -- that goes like this:

and now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing.  fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable.  think about these things that are excellent and worthy of praise.  [philippians 4:8]

i'm sorry if you like it, but then again, i'm not.  i'm not sorry because Jesus died for me and i'm ashamed that i hurt Him by watching something as appalling as the perks of being a wallflower.

3 comments:

  1. wow! thank you for this anna. i had actually been wondering about this movie and my friend had kept telling me i should read the book, but i wasn't sure. this has definitely cleared up my uncertainties. soo thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thaaank yoouuuu. same here, I cannot understand why people liked it. it made me downright uncomfortable to watch. blech. we become desensitized to things that aren't what philippians tells us we should be focusing on, and it's awful and very, very sad.
    I feel the same way about "the fault in our stars"--I don't know if you've heard of it/read it, but after hearing so many people rave about it, I read it, and same thing. I was disgusted. it's so not okay and it sickens and saddens me that my generation still revels in this stuff.
    anyway. you're brave (and right) to write this. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about that lately, about filling my mind with what's good and pure and right stuff instead of all the crap that always seems to be going around. Haven't seen this, guess I don't need to. Thanks for the honest review, mate, and hey, seen any good movies lately?

    ReplyDelete

hey! thanks for leaving me a comment. you're rad.