May 16, 2013

i'm not zoey davis

As most of you know, I'm a writer.  It's what I do.  I make up characters and give them stories to pass the time.

So for a while I had this character in my head.  She was a girl who was a lot like me.  Her name was Zoey Davis.  She was a tomboy with ridiculously awesome curly hair and was valedictorian kind of smart.  She played soccer and had a height of 5'4".  And there was this guy named Brock Johnson who was totally into her, and pursued her in every way possible.  Basically Zoey was who this image of who I wanted to be.  What I wanted for myself.

But the thing is, I'm not Zoey Davis.

I don't have curly hair, God gave me glorious straight hair that many a person envies.

I'm not going to be valedictorian, and that's okay.  I'm not the next Einstein, I'm a hardworking student that's giving it her all.

I wasn't made to gracefully float across the soccer field.  I was made for running to the ones who are hurting.

I'm not short.  God didn't make me a petite little pixie, or tall super model.  I'm the average girl-next-door.  Brown hair, freckles, and a listening ear.  That's who I am.

And maybe I will have a Brock Johnson of my own one of these days, but it's not right now.  I'm not ready, and God knows that.

Because I'm Anna.

Not Zoey Davis.

1 comment:

  1. gosh, i remember reading about zoey davis. you just took me back in time about four years!
    and God's telling me something today, because you're saying it too -- we're blessed to simply be.

    ReplyDelete

hey! thanks for leaving me a comment. you're rad.